Friday, October 29, 2010

Costs and being a photographer

Ive read and heard many photographers say this.....

"The customer isn't paying for the print they are paying for the time and skill it takes to make the picture."

Its true... I spend my time on each picture. My prices arnt even up there like some photographers. I honestly think my prices are reasonable.

I asked my friend the other day, "Do you think my prices are high?" She told me, "yes". I was a little held back, because my 4X6 is only a dollar.

I just want my clients to think of all the time and costs it takes for me to put into my business.

First: I went a bought a camera, memory cards, editing software, and anything else on the side that I needed, like paper for pricing, files, etc.

Second: I had to study places on the Internet that could hold my proofs and labs to get my pictures through and I had to set up my pricing and the cost it was going to cost me.

Third: I had to set it all up. But now that its set up, I have to maintain it.

Fourth: When I take your pictures, we take roughly an hour and up on the photo shoot, which that is what the $25.00 sitting fee is for. My time and my equipment.

Fifth: I go home and load all the pictures up. I go through them and if there is any bad ones, I delete them. Then the editing process starts. I spend about 2-5 hours total on each session, because I have another job, I have to stop and go all the time.

Sixth: I then load them up on my page and wait for you to view them.

But you have to think.....Lets say for example......You want 1 4X6 for $1.00. I just spent my equipment, my time (roughly 4 hours) and then I have to spend the cost on that one picture and I have to pay taxes on it. So for 4 hours of work, I just made a few cents.

I'm not trying to sound negative...I just want my clients and anyone else to understand that why alot of photographers have "high" prices is because, your not paying for their pictures. Your paying for their creativity, their time, their equipment. Its not like Wal-Mart, you get a pose and 100 pictures for $5.00. We want to capture moments....those moments when your kid is playing and laughing. When your with your love and you wanted to share that special kiss or walk hand in hand. Or those newborns that are at home sleeping and you want some pictures of their sweet new life.

I love being a photographer and wish I knew more. I'm always reading and learning new stuff daily. I'm not trying to compete with any other photographers in our area or trying to take away from them. I know some really great photographers and they actually give me advice and try to help me. Its just so great and wonderful to know you have friends that love the same thing you do.

I love everyone I have photographed so far and hope I have many more in the future. I never thought of me as a people person, but I'm starting to open up more with the new people that I meet. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think your prices are great! I don't see an issue with any of them :)

    ReplyDelete