Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My grandpa....and some stories



I just wanna say, that I love him so much. Sometimes I get aggravated at him cause hes old and he does things I dont understand. Hes memory is slightly going, which I hate, because there are things I wish he could remember of my childhood and things from his past. But I love him and Im so happy that God has him in my life. Hes my only "parent" I have left, and it would mean everything to me if he was here when I finally do have a baby. I know its going to be hard when Im pregnant and when the baby is born and me needing my mom to ask her the hundred million questions there are. My dad was never in my life, and my grandma died when I was little. My grandpa is going to be 80 this year....yes 80!!!


He is the most nicest person you will ever meet. He gives and gives and never is picky. Sometimes I hate the way I act toward him, because I just get so aggravated. We finally took him to a hearing test today. He kept telling me he had "selective" hearing, and I was getting upset cause I had to repeat myself like 3-4 times on things. Well, we found out he does have hearing loss....now hes telling me, he dosent want to wear a hearing aid. lol....I knew he would do that. Thats my grandpa for ya.


Deep down, I need to say, that Im so scared for my grandpa dieing. I mean, hes all I have left. No other grandparents or parents. I have Marks family, which is great, but its not my family. I told my grandpa that hes not going to die till hes 150, so that leaves me like at 90 or something, lol.


In February 2007, my grandpa felt really weak, so I took him to the dr, and the dr. said he looked very pale, which I never noticed. He checked his blood count and he lost like half of his blood. He has had bleeding ulcers in the past, and we thought thats what it was. But the Dr. told him to go to the hospital to get some blood and he will be out of there the next day (ended up staying for 2+ months). So we take him, but they kept giving him all this blood and it never stayed. So they went to check his colon. He ended up having colon cancer. The SAME DAY, he has a heart attack in the hospital. I will never forget that. ( My cousin came in town and we went to go eat, and we came back to see him and his eyes were wide, and I was like, "whats wrong"...his heart was so fast. They had like 15 people in this small room trying to help him. Me and my cousin were outside crying, cause we knew something was really wrong). But anyways....so hes in the hospital for a week or so, because the Dr's are arguing about which surgery to do first. If they worked on his heart, they would have to put him on blood thinner and then he could bleed to death. If they worked on his colon, his heart could give out and he would die. So my grandpa was like chillin in the hospital, eating regular food, not hooked up to anything. But they ended up doing his heart first, and then a few weeks later, his colon. The BAD thing about this....is I got married in March of 07. The Wednesday before my wedding, they called me and told me to come to the hospital, because he just died while giving X-rays and they revived him and dont know how much time he has left. Let me tell you, all the things that are going in my head at this moment. I mean....here is my wedding....my grandpa is suppose to walk me down the aisle (which by the way, he didnt, and i was devastated. My mom couldnt do it, cause she passed and my only parent left was my grandpa, and hes in the hospital....mind you...he didnt get to walk his daughter down the aisle, cause my mom never got married. So this was as much as important as it was for me, as it was for him). Do I have my wedding? Do I plan a funeral instead? Will all my friends and family be coming to a funeral instead of a wedding? Do I wait? Do I have it early? What am I going to do without my grandpa? That was such a hard time in my life....I felt more like a grown up at that moment than I ever had. No one had to make this choices but me. Life changing choices.


My grandpa, of course pulled out of it and is healthy as a bug now. His heart is awesome and his colon cancer is gone. He ended up having a tube down his throat on my wedding day, but after our wedding, me and Mark drove up to the hospital in our attire and I showed my lovely grandpa, what I looked like, on my wedding day. I asked him, if he wanted us to go to the honeymoon or not.....well I told him to give me a thumbs up, or down, lol. He told us to go ahead. That Monday we are loading up on the boat of our honeymoon and I kept calling. Finally one of the nurses said....Honey...hes great...he pulled the tube out of his mouth this morning and is sitting up and talking. Just enjoy your honeymoon and have a good time!!! I was so happy he was okay. I felt like our life was going to be good then, and he has. Im blessed with a wonderful husband and a wonderful grandpa. Lifes not easy, and sometimes things happen and we dont know why. I KNOW my life will be fulfilled when I have that baby that my heart desires so much. I know its in God time, and Im hoping its soon. I can feel it. I feel like God is just telling me WAIT!!! He has something special in store for my husband and I.

Let me explain real quick on this picture of my grandpa. So I just got my camera and Im driving around with it, in my life....I know....its crazy!!! I took this pic of him while driving. On cafemom, I entered it in a photo contest on cutest grandparents and he won!!! Well then they put all the winners from different categories and he won the all around best!!! Who knew, how much of a stud he is!!! Hes so adorable!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    That is sweet about your Grandpa. I am sorry that you don't have your Mom here to help after you have your baby, but you can call me and I will help you if you need me too. I know that I could never re-place your Mom, but I know alot about babies and I love them too. I am praying that you get pregnant soon.

    Love,
    Carla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, that made me cry! I love Bubba too and would be so sad if something were to hppen to him. You were so right when you said that he is the nicest person who you would ever meet. I think he is the nicest person I have ever met. :) Im not trying to be funny at all but when we were younger I felt like he was relative too. Like if i ever needed anything he would be there for me also. I knew he cared about me because I was your friend and he LOVES you so much, ya know? Your mom was so like a mom to me. I could talk to her about so many things that I could never talk to my mom about and I miss that. I bet by now we would have had some REAL GOOD talks!!LOL Almost every time I watch the Golden Girls I think back to your mom busting out laughing at something one of the girls said. I'll never forget those moments. All I can tell you is that you had a WONDERFUL mom who LOVED way more than any mom I know, and the same goes for your grandpa (Bubba) you are blessed to have had him in your life this long, and when his time comes you have to think he is going to be with his wife and Shirley again, and your precious babies, so it will not be a time of saddness it will be a time of re-joice!! I love ya Rach

    ReplyDelete